Stay in touch with the latest news from AIM and get information on sector grants, jobs and events with our free fortnightly E-News.
Job vacancy – Museum Manager at Cynon Valley Museum
Job title: Museum Manager
Location: Cynon Valley Museum, working remotely temporarily due to COVID-19
Salary: £30,000 – £32,500
Term: 8 month fixed term contract
Closing date: 12 February 2021
HR Dept Caerphilly, Rhondda, Aberdare & Merthyr are pleased to be recruiting on behalf of Cynon Valley Museum Trus.t ‘Cynon Valley Museum’ for a role of Museum Manager on a 8 Month Fixed Term Contract
The Cynon Valley Museum Trust (CVMT) is a charity formed in 2015 responsible for the operation of the Cynon Valley Museum. The mission of the CVMT is to “to promote the education of the local community and beyond in relation to the local history, cultural heritage and the arts of the Cynon Valley”.
The role of the Museum Manager is to be the strategic link between the Trustees’ vision and the operation of the Museum, and to see the values, mission and vision realised through the management and programming of the Museum. They also are responsible for implementing the strategic direction, business plan and various policies, strategies and procedures which make that happen. The Museum Manager also line manages the staff team, and acts as liaison between them and the Board of Trustees.
Responsibilities: Drive and develop the CVMT’s strategic direction
- Work with the Trustees to develop and fulfil the 5-year business plan
- Set and review funding priorities
- Manage the resources of the Trust effectively to ensure values-driven working
- Assess development against key performance indicators identified in the business plan
- Policy, procedure and strategy review and implementation
Secure grant funding for future museum activities
- Lead on large strategic funding applications and support staff members on smaller, project-based applications. Be the point of contact for grant funders at the CVM
- Manage the grant application process
- Manage the administration of successful funding bids and lead on measuring impact of grant funding.
Financial oversight and lead on sustainability
- Working to diversify and develop income streams to contribute to self-sustainability
- Implementation of the business plan
- Budget and grant funding management
Be the main point of communication between staff, volunteers, and trustees
- Formulate agendas for, attend and take minutes at the Finance subcommittee meetings
- Liaise between trustees and the staff and volunteers
- Represent the staff and volunteers at monthly board meetings
Liaison, relationship maintenance and reputation building
- Main point of liaison with Rhondda Cynon Taff council staff regarding the building lease, SLA and other legal requirements.
- Responsible for strategic and sector specific advocacy and representation
- Formal link between the Cynon Valley Museum Trust and the Rhondda Cynon Taff Heritage Service
- Develop the museum activities in accordance with the Accreditation standards
- Escalation of customer or volunteer related issues, e.g. complaints
Staff management and human resources
- Performance Management of the Cynon Valley Museum Trust staff team
- Responsible for Continuous Professional Development across the Cynon Valley Museum team (paid staff and volunteers)
- Escalation of volunteer management issues regarding discipline and grievances.
Building Manager responsibilities
The Museum Manager is responsible for all aspects of building management and holds ultimate responsibility for all building issues including delegated responsibilities
- Overall responsibility for the security of the building
- Ensure all policies and procedures are up to date and satisfy all statutory requirements
- Ensure all volunteers and staff are fully trained to required standards
- Compliance with all legal, health and safety, data protection, etc. requirements.
Experience & knowledge
Experience of management in the heritage sector
Demonstrable experience of managing staff and volunteer teams
Negotiation and stakeholder relationship management experience, i.e. Rhondda Cynon Taff, CT CBC, café occupant
Strong understanding of the charitable sector, including charity law, compliance, and governance.
1. Self-motivated, with strong organisational skills and a dynamic approach to driving results
2. Excellent leadership and team building skills with the desire to collaborate and influence.
3. Clear and accurate communication and numeracy skills
4. A devoted work ethic with an ambitious drive to achieve change
5. An innovative approach to problem solving
6. Excellent IT skills and confident in using a range of digital tools.
7. A flexible individual who must be willing to work towards the aims of the CVMT
1. Knowledge of the local history of the Cynon Valley
2. Ability to speak Welsh or the willingness to learn
Should you have any questions please contact The HR Dept directly on 02922 521 276.
Reference ID: TheHRDept001CVMT
- 8 hour shift
Due to COVID-19 – All Interviews will be held remotely, so access to Zoom is essential for the interview process.
- Management: 3 years (Required)
- Charity Sector: 2 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19