Stay in touch with the latest news from AIM and get information on sector grants, jobs and events with our free fortnightly E-News.
Head of Development – Brooklands Museum
Hours: Full time
Location: Brooklands Museum, Surrey
Closing date: 12:00 am 20 February 2024
Brooklands Museum is an ambitious organisation that prides itself on its history and how this can be used today to inspire the next generation of innovators, risk takers, engineers, and creative thinkers.
Our vision – inspiring people to shape the future through Brooklands’ history of innovation and endeavour – informs how we think, develop new ideas and implement all our programmes. We are at the initial stages of an exciting new development plan that will see long term investment in our built heritage, our galleries, and core activities that will transform the Museum experience for future generations to enjoy. This is an exciting time to be joining the Brooklands Museum team as we progress these plans and the Head of Development will play a vital role in this process. This is a new role and is a great opportunity for the right candidate to help shape our future development and fundraising strategies, building on the success of Brooklands Museums track record.
We have a track record of success in delivering projects that have a positive impact on our communities. The Brooklands Innovation Academy – engaging young people in STEM subjects and careers – is one example of how we do this. As we build our reputation in bringing businesses and schools together at Brooklands Museum, we need to ensure that future investment can be secured to enable this crucial activity to happen. The skills agenda is increasingly vital to young people and employers alike and, as a charity, we have an important role to play to enable learning outside of the classroom, putting subjects in context and to inspire the next generation with feats of engineering that happened here on the Brooklands site. We need to continue our work in building a network of partners and key stakeholders from across the business community in Surrey to ensure the long-term success of the Brooklands Innovation Academy.
We have a strong Membership base of over 7,000 members and we are keen to grow and nurture this important group of supporters. This is a wonderful community of passionate people who believe in the history and future of Brooklands. The Head of Development will work closely with the membership to ensure we provide both value to members and develop new opportunities for them to support the Museum as we progress our future journey.
We are looking for someone who has at least five years’ fundraising experience, ideally in the cultural sector with demonstrable success in securing revenue targets of six figures or more, including through new or reinvigorated fundraising programmes. The successful candidate will have experience of developing and implementing a fundraising strategy across a range of types of income streams, based on research and insight, and of translating strategy into implementable, resourced plans which meet targets. Experience of making successful applications to Arts Council England and National Lottery Heritage Fund is also desirable. You will be a confident self-starter who is proactive in their approach and has the credibility and ability to liaise with major donors and support trustees and volunteers, enhancing their fundraising activity and success.
The role reports into the CEO currently and is responsible for a team of four.
- As a key member of the senior leadership team, the Head of Development is responsible for securing support from individuals (including through Membership), corporates, and trusts and foundations to achieve annual business plan targets and contribute to the delivery of the 10-year masterplan.
- Develop a five-year fundraising strategy for Brooklands Museum that includes revenue and capital fundraising, targeting for growth across all income streams.
- Develop a rolling, two-year fundraising plan to achieve the strategy, that considers internal fundraising capability as well as the external market, and includes staff and volunteer resources, timescales, financial budgets and project costs.
- Devise and implement an individual giving programme which is complementary to existing membership schemes, with appropriate recognition and benefits to attract higher levels of giving.
- Secure increased funding for Brooklands Innovation Academy through corporate sponsorship and grant support, as well as for other elements of the learning and engagement programme, and sponsorship for event days and other activities.
- Lead and manage the Development team: support team members to develop their skills and abilities so they can reach their full potential and achieve targets, managing their performance through regular feedback and coaching.
- Select, implement and ensure effective use of a new CRM system.
How to apply
Please apply via our recruitment website where you will find the full job description and further information about working at Brooklands Museum. You will be asked to submit your CV and a covering letter detailing how your experience could help us in this role and how you meet the requirements of our person specification. Please keep your covering letter to no more than two sides of A4.
The hiring manager will review all applications once the role has closed and we will be in touch with shortlisted candidates regarding an interview shortly after this date.
The closing date is 20 February.