Stay in touch with the latest news from AIM and get information on sector grants, jobs and events with our free fortnightly E-News.
Visitor Experience & Retail Manager – Aerospace Bristol
Hours: Full time
Location: Aerospace Bristol, Hayes Way, Patchway, BS34 5BZ
Closing date: 5:00 pm 13 November 2023
Aerospace Bristol is a family-friendly museum on the edge of the historic Filton Airfield, where every British Concorde was manufactured and made its maiden flight. Our exhibitions tell the remarkable story of a business founded in 1910 that grew to employ hundreds of thousands, shaping local communities and transforming Filton into the birthplace of Concorde and the heart of the world-renowned British aerospace industry. With learning at its core and the last Concorde to fly as its stunning centrepiece, the museum takes visitors on an immersive and interactive journey through over 100 years of flight.
About the role
Aerospace Bristol is looking for a Visitor Experience & Retail Manager to join our team. You will be responsible for managing the Visitor Experience & Retail team in order to deliver an exceptional experience for all visitors. You will also be responsible for managing the museum shop and online shop, integrating retail into the visitor experience and maximising revenue.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Line management of Visitor Experience Supervisors, Visitor Experience & Retail Assistants, and the Bookings and Administration Officer.
- Maintaining appropriate staffing levels in line with visitor numbers.
- Preparing the monthly rota to ensure the museum and all daytime and evening events are adequately staffed.
- Recruiting new Visitor Experience & Retail team members.
- Ensuring all new and existing team members receive appropriate training.
- Managing Visitor Experience volunteers and work experience students.
- Leading Visitor Experience & Retail team meetings and conducting one-to-ones and performance review meetings.
- Maintaining good morale and working to resolve any issues appropriately and in line with museum policies and procedures.
- Constantly reviewing and improving procedures to enhance the visitor experience and efficiency of the Visitor Experience & Retail team.
- Supporting with health & safety to ensure potential issues are reported and resolved quickly and all incidents receive the correct response
- Working to ensure that Aerospace Bristol offers a visitor experience that is accessible to all.
- Ensuring that all visitors, including general admission visitors, groups, schools and event guests, receive an appropriate welcome and introduction to the museum.
- Supporting the Marketing team in sending appropriate pre-visit and post-visit communications.
- Contributing to improvements in the museum’s signage and wayfinding.
- Working with the Interpretation team to deliver the museum story to visitors through talks, tours and activities.
- Working with the Facilities & IT team to ensure all equipment is working and reporting any problems.
- Monitoring supplies such as ticket stock, trail leaflets and maps and reordering as required.
- Ensuring that all visitor queries are answered promptly and professionally, whether communicating in person, via phone or via email.
- Planning the rota to make sure the museum shop is staffed as needed.
- Ordering products and ensuring that deliveries are booked in promptly and the shop remains well-stocked.
- Leading the team in creating and managing shop displays and ensuring the shop remains tidy and well presented.
- Working with the Head of Commercial Operations to create and deliver a retail strategy.
- Ordering new products in line with the museum’s retail strategy.
- Managing the online shop and ensuring that online orders are dispatched in a timely manner.
- The post holder is expected to adopt a flexible approach to working hours, with some weekend and occasional evening work required.
- Act as the Site Manager when required.
- From time to time you may also be asked to perform other duties to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the organisation.
You don’t have to worked in a museum environment before and we are keen to encourage applications from all types of backgrounds. These are the skills we are looking for no matter where you have gained your experience:
- Experience of managing a team and recruiting new team members.
- Demonstrable experience of customer care skills and a real commitment to meeting customers’ needs.
- Organisational skills and an eye for detail.
- An excellent team player, working with enthusiasm and communicating effectively across the whole team.
- Practical experience of IT systems, such as tills and Microsoft Office packages.
- Flexible and adaptable approach with the ability to work effectively under pressure.
- A willingness to demonstrate initiative and be proactive.
- Some knowledge and interest in heritage, museums, engineering or aviation would be helpful or an active willingness to learn about these areas which are so important to Aerospace Bristol and its visitors.
- Free on-site parking
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time roles)
- Discount in café and shop
- Free tickets for family to Aerospace Bristol and other named Bristol-based visitor attractions
To apply, please submit your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Your covering letter should explain how your experience and skills are relevant to the role, and why you are keen to apply and work for Aerospace Bristol.
Closing date for applications: 5pm, Monday 13 November 2023.
Interviews will be held on 20 and 21 November ready for a start date soon after.