Stay in touch with the latest news from AIM and get information on sector grants, jobs and events with our free fortnightly E-News.
Job vacancy – Explainer Team Leader at Nottingham Castle
Job title: Explainer Team Leader
Reports to: Learning and Visitor Experience Manager
Direct Line Management: Explainer Team members and occasional responsibility for trainees and volunteers
Hours: Full time (Ability to work flexibly, including working on Bank Holidays and Weekends when required)
Location: Nottingham Castle
Closing date: 27 November 2020
Purpose of Role
The Nottingham Castle Explainer Team Leaders will support the day-to-day running of the Learning team under the management of the Learning & Visitor Experience Manager. They will lead interpretation and deliver learning workshops to a wide range of visitors. Explainer Team Leaders will be expected to have or develop via training, specific access skills such as Makaton or BSL to assist visitors with additional needs.
All Explainers will ensure that visitors are safe and enjoy their visit while always trying to elicit curious conversations about the Castle, its caves, characters and collections. They will make history and our art collections fun and hands-on for all visitors.
• To inspire and instigate curious conversations with visitors about our collections, exhibitions and other activity taking place at Nottingham Castle
• Deliver the Formal Learning workshops, alongside elements of the Family and Lifelong Learning programmes
• Assist in creating and managing rotas where required
• Be responsible for the safety and policing of visitors and exhibits and supporting the duty manager
• Continually keep informed about museum exhibits including any changes
• Greet and welcome learning groups upon their arrival
• Develop access skills to support groups with additional needs such as Makaton or BSL.
• Support the Explainer and Volunteer teams
• Provide information to museum visitors and answer their questions
• Assist with evening special event programmes and community/outreach projects
• Support the costumed interpreter team in their talks and tours
• To support and develop work with volunteers in the Learning programme, maximising their experience with us
• Monitor and develop own performance targets, participate in regular reviews, receive feedback and undertake relevant training where appropriate.
• Input into policies and procedures as required
• Work collaboratively with volunteers, work experience, placement participants and other members of staff; working together as a team to achieve Nottingham Castle’s vision
• Health and safety of visitors and exhibitions
• High level of historical accuracy and the ability to bring history to life
• High quality of delivery of Learning workshops
• Be aware of all NCT policies and procedures and ensure that these are adhered to by themselves and their team.
• Knowledge of specific access skills
• Know how to talk to a wide diversity of people
• Some working knowledge of Nottingham/history/art and design is desirable
• Experience of working with children and young people, particularly those with additional needs
• Friendly and engaging
• Reliable and responsible
• Enthusiasm for the Trust’s aims and its independence, and an interest in all areas of the Trust’s work
• Ability to work effectively with colleagues and support a working environment which
attracts and retains talent
• Ability to work flexibly, including working on Bank Holidays and Weekends when required.
Nottingham Castle Trust are keen to see applications from people of all backgrounds and communities and are committed to representing the diverse nature of the city. We look forward to receiving applications from all suitable candidates and will conduct inclusive recruitment processes based on attitude, experience and qualifications. Nottingham Castle Trust are also committed to ensuring that no-one invited to interview should be excluded due to financial circumstances and will reimburse anyone attending interview (related costs must be supported by receipts) if required.
1st Interviews to be held week commencing 7 December 2020
Start date – by mid-January 2021
CV and covering letter to email@example.com by 27 November 2020