Stay in touch with the latest news from AIM and get information on sector grants, jobs and events with our free fortnightly E-News.
Trustee vacancy – Chair – Royal West of England Academy
Leading the RWA governing body, the new Chair will be responsible for all aspects of good governance and propriety and will importantly take a lead role in furthering the RWA’s ambitious programme delivering creativity for all while ensuring financial resilience and sustainability.
Ideally suited to an individual with a wide experience of business and institutional leadership, this role requires an interest in arts or cultural involvement.
- Provide vision and leadership to the RWA and its Board
- Ensure Trustees fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the Charity
- Ensure the Board operates within its charitable objectives, and provides a clear strategic direction for the Charity
- Ensure the Board regularly reviews major risks and associated opportunities, and satisfies itself that systems are in place to take advantage of opportunities and manage and mitigate the risks
- Ensure the Board fulfils its duties to ensure the sound financial health of the RWA, with systems in place to ensure financial accountability
- Liaise with the Academicians’ President to ensure the RWA’s artistic vision is delivered.
Experience and expertise
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation
- Successful track record of achievement through his or her career
- Experience of working with, or as part of, a Board of Trustees or directors
- Experience of chairing meetings and public speaking
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the Arts sector and current issues
- Strong leadership skills, an ability to motivate staff and volunteers, and bring people together
- Good understanding of charity governance and finance issues.
Number of meetings per annum/time commitment:
- Approx 2 days per month
- Board Meetings – 6 times a year
- Attendance at selected sub-committee meetings (x10 of 1.5 hours)
- Occasional day time meetings with key stakeholders, partner organisations, funders
- Regular contact with the Director (c2-4 hours per month).
Daytime or evening meetings:
Board Meetings are on Thursdays 4-6pm
Closing date for applications: By end of October 2023
Contact details or web link for applicants to find out more:
To apply for this role, please email John Vasey, Interim Chair of Trustees, at email@example.com, including information about yourself and why you feel the role is right for you, together with a current CV.
For further information about the RWA, please contact Alison Bevan, RWA Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org